Home visiting volunteers
Every day Home-Start Aberdeen is providing life-changing support to families across the city. Our local community network of trained volunteers helps families with young children when they need us most.
Home-Start’s Home Visiting Volunteers work alongside families, offering compassionate and confidential support, tailored to what each family wants and needs. They undergo extensive training and are supported by our expert staff team. Most of our home visiting volunteers have some parenting experience; they understand that family life can be tough sometimes, which is why their support is so valuable to another family.
Our Home Visiting Volunteers:
· Visit families weekly in their own homes
· Offer friendship, emotional support and practical help and be a regular, reliable presence for families
· Reassure families that bringing up children can be challenging and everybody needs help sometimes
· Emphasise the positive aspects of family life
· Draw on their own experience to help parents develop their skills, improve their confidence and build better lives for their children
· Keep children at the centre of the support focusing on their wellbeing and safety and ensuring the best possible outcomes for them
We offer our Home Visiting Volunteers:
· Excellent preparation for the role through our Volunteer Preparation training course
· Regular and frequent support and supervision meetings, and ongoing help and advice, from a dedicated Volunteer Coordinator
· Ongoing training and personal development opportunities
· The opportunity to make new friends and build social networks
· Involvement in a vital local service which is part of a national and global network
Home visiting requires energy, commitment, reliability, creativity and a sense of humour. It can be exciting or challenging but above all it is extremely rewarding and worthwhile.